“I am the Good Shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me….” John 10:14 NIV
I often get asked, “How do I hear a word from God?” Great question! I know of few people, especially Christians, who wouldn’t act immediately to obey God if they only knew for sure they were hearing from Him.
I don’t believe God means for us to wander aimlessly. God does not intend for you to live your life without knowledge of His plan. (He may make you wait to see the whole picture, but you’ll get it one step at a time.) God wants you to hear His voice.
Here are a few tips to help you in your journey to hear from God:
1. Get to know Him. That is the key to any relationship. How can you hear from God if you have never met Him? You can’t meet Him apart from knowing His Son Jesus. If you have not yet invited Jesus to be your Savior, now is the time!
2. Listen. That sounds simple, but unless you are spending time trying to hear from God, it will never happen.
3. Learn His voice. When you first meet someone, it usually takes a few tries before you begin to recognize their voice over the telephone. If my Mom calls, she doesn’t have to say, “Ron, this is your Mother.” I know her voice by now! (It’s when she says “Ronald” that I know I’m in trouble.)
4. Check it with Scripture! If you have any doubt about what God may be telling you, compare it to His word! God will never contradict Himself.
5. Obey! If God speaks to you, clearly, without question, and you know it compliments what has already been written in His word, don’t waste another second. Obey Him immediately. If you want your relationship to grow, you will need to establish early on that you will follow His will for your life.
6. Enjoy! Hearing from God is a great thing! It doesn’t even matter as much what He says. The great miracle is that a holy, powerful and mighty God, the Creator, has spoken! That is an event!
Therefore, let me ask you, what is God saying to you these days? If you could hear anything from Him right now, what would you want to hear?