I am not a selfish person usually, although I guess we all are to a certain extent. Still, there are some things I want more of in my life in the year 2009. All of these stem from what I really want to accomplish in life. I have thought a lot recently, while preparing for the first message of the New Year at Grace, about what matters most in my life. Here’s my list of “more”. (Feel free to share what you want more of in the New Year.)
1. I want to discipline myself more. The year 2009 is going to be a year of structure for me. I’m fairly disciplined now, but I’ve learned that discipline allows me to accomplish my goals.
2. I want to love more. I want that to start with Cheryl and the boys, but I always want to develop more patience for others. (This may improve my driving temperament.)
3. I want to sing more. Singing, regardless of the song, usually lifts my spirits and is good for the soul.
4. I want to dream more. Dreaming keeps my mind and imagination fresh.
5. I want to pray more. Please don’t misunderstand, I’m not seeking prayer requests, although I hope to pray for others more too, I just want more time alone with my Father.
6. I want to rest more. I need to get to bed earlier and actually consider taking a day off occasionally.
7. I want to read more. Last year, because of other commitments, I didn’t read books other than the Bible as much as I usually do. I have some catching up to do.
8. I want to exercise more. I may not run a marathon or do all the long distance runs I did in 2008, but I want to concentrate on a more complete fitness program. The healthier I am the more productive I can be.
9. I want to network more. I developed some incredible connections and relationships in 2008. I want to be intentional and smarter with these opportunities in 2009.
10. I want to more balance in my life. I am always doing something. That’s how I thrive. I want to consider where my attention goes and where my priorities are more in the New Year and put more of my energy in those places.
What do you want more of in 2009? Go ahead. If you have good goals, and your heart is intending to honor God, be selfish!