I want to encourage you to plan an intentional date night. Make the reservations. Get a babysitter. (Trade with another couple so they can do this another night.) And, date.
Not just a normal date. That’s not what I mean by intentional. Date. Like you did when you were — well — dating!
Get to know each other. Sure, I know, you’re married now. You already “know” each other. But, great couples never stop learning one another. It’s part of becoming one.
And, With two unique people — as unique as you — yes you — it will take a lifetime together to fully accomplish.
Don’t assume you already know. Explore new territory with each other. Ask questions.
Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- What do you like best about me?
- When do you feel most loved in our relationship?
- If there was only one day you could capture, and repeat again in our marriage, which day would you choose?
- If you had a “do over” of any day in our marriage, which one would you choose?
- What is the best way your husband/wife encourages you?
- Tell me (again if you’ve told me before) about your favorite childhood memory.
- What was the first thing that attracted you to me (tell me again)?
- What do you think is the hardest part about being a man/woman? (Each answer for their gender and the other)
- What is the greatest fear you have about growing old together?
- What did you admire about the way your mother and father treated each other?
- What would you do differently?
- What is the best way for me to communicate difficult feelings about you so that you are not offended?
- Do you remember what we talked about on our first date?
- When you meet a new friend, and they ask you to describe me to them, what do you say?
- Who do you think was the most influential person/couple in your life in shaping who you are as a husband/wife? How did they influence you?
- Who is one couple we both know that you’d like to have a marriage like theirs? Why?
- If there were no limitations in life, what dream would you pursue?
Make this post better. Add some more questions.
Then comment and tell me how the date goes.
The more intentional we are with our marriage, the greater results we can expect.