My friend Bradley Stevenson wrote a post about Kentucky basketball. Isn’t everyone these days? Well, not everyone, but lots of people are around here. UK basketball is a topic of conversation wherever you go in Lexington this time of year.
And, all the chatter hasn’t been positive this year. You are obviously not a basketball fan if you couldn’t figure that one out for yourself.
But, Bradley’s post was different. It was challenging, but encouraging at the same time. It resonated with people. Lots of people. Read “An Open Letter to Coach Cal (Coaches, Players and Fans)”.
Then Bradley did something only a friend would do. He asked me if I had any leadership advice to offer the UK basketball program. What? Me? I’m a student of leadership, but I’m only a casual basketball fan. I love the game. I go to the games. I wear the team colors. I cheer. But, my greatest passions are consumed in other directions. (Like Jesus. I’m passionate about Him. And, leadership. And the church.).
Anyway, Bradley’s a friend, or at least he claims to be (we’ll see how good a friend after this post goes live), so I decided to comply with his request. We did it in an interview fashion. And, knowing how much I like (and use) the number 7, Bradley asked me 7 questions about my leadership advice for Coach Cal and the UK basketball program.
Here were the questions:
- What’s your best leadership advice when dealing with negativity?
- How do you motivate your team during difficult times?
- How do you stay focused during difficult times?
- What do you say to naysayers?
- If you had 5 minutes with Coach Cal what advice would you give him?
- Same question, but about the team! If you had 5 minutes with the team (without Coach Cal) what advice would you give them?
- Finally, if you had 5 minutes with the UK fans…what would you say?
You can read my answers on Bradley’s blog post, “A Leadership Perspective for Coach Cal, Players and Fans“.
Be warned. I’m a leadership guy. And, this is basketball. Big Blue Nation basketball. That’s serious stuff around here. And, I live here. Please be nice.
Let’s talk sports. Or leadership. How do you see the two subjects related?
And, for bonus points…