Dr Henry Cloud is a popular psychologist and author. I have recommended his book “Boundaries” dozens of times. We all need them in our life.
Recently Cloud released the book “Boundaries for Leaders”. It’s a needed book. He spoke to us about it at the Catalyst conference.
His ultimate theme for the presentation:
Proper boundaries for leaders help us to be productive for the long haul.
An outline of that process:
1. Pay attention to what’s most important. (Ultimately our identity in Christ.)
- Understand and know our identity.
- What is it that you’re good at doing? What in your life needs attention now?
- Written visions are more likely to be achieved.
- Have guard rails of what you need to focus on now. Don’t let 86 other things interfere. And over time your mind will begin to form around your true identity (of what’s important).
2. Positive emotional climate. Built up in your true identity in Christ.
- A traumatized brain divides…into two parts. The creative side, that can think through decision making.
- Other side of brain is a defensive mode. If a train is coming at us we don’t have time to think. Just react defensively.
- But we need the thinking side to realize our true identity.
- To live in the reality that God is generous with grace and wisdom.
- James 1:5…He will give wisdom…without finding fault.
3. Relational Connection
- Someone to walk through the process with us.
- Someone to hold us accountable. Disciple us.
- Learn to self-control.
- God designed our brain where it loves to have control.
- We were designed for self-control. But we try to control everything else out of our control, instead of ourselves.
- The number one factor in accomplishing a goal is believing that we can.
- Believing, by faith, that God can make in us who He has designed us to be. Our identity is in Christ.
My notes, of course, are just an outline…perhaps you need to read the book. I intend to soon. While this is not a post with an intent to promote the book, Cloud’s books have been helpful to me in life and leadership. From this talk, I believe this one will be likewise.