I am a student of leadership. It’s one of my favorite subjects. I believe principles of leadership are throughout the Bible. God seemed to look for qualities in people He sought for leadership positions. God primarily sought obedience, but He often used a person’s experience also. Consider David, for example, his field experience protecting the sheep gave him the courage to step into a leadership of battling Goliath. God seemed to single out certain people with the ability to lead.
While I believe the Bible is full of leadership principles and the church today needs better leaders, there are still questions I have about the subject. Perhaps you can help:
- Can leadership be clearly defined and is it important to define it?
- Is a person who leads people towards corruption or destruction still considered a leader, or does leadership always head people in a positive direction?
- Is there a difference in leadership and management?
- Can leadership be taught or is it innate?
- Is there a certain aptitude or personality more suited for leadership?
- Is everyone a leader in some area of his or her life?
- Can someone choose to be a leader or does one become a leader only when people choose to follow him or her?
What do you think?