I love organizational leadership as a subject and I am happy to serve on a healthy team. It’s amazing how many church leaders I know that say their team is not healthy. Recently I started wondering why it is that I claim our team is healthy and it led me to this post.
Here, in my opinion, are 10 elements of a healthy organization/team:
- A shared vision is held by all team members.
- Team members and their individual ideas are equally valued.
- Leadership development is a part of the strategy.
- The organization readily embraces change and risk taking is encouraged.
- Team members are continually energized and encouragement flows freely.
- It’s a fun place to hang out…people enjoy their work and relationships are deeper than just the professional environment.
- Mistakes are considered part of the learning process.
- The structure doesn’t limit growth, but provides healthy boundaries.
- There is a freedom to offer constructive criticism, even of top leadership, without fear of retribution.
- Conflict is not discouraged, but used to make the team better.
What would you add to the list?
Do you serve on a healthy team?