Yesterday I began some thoughts about the term team idleness. To understand the term fully read that post HERE.
What causes team idleness? What causes a team to stagnate and fail to move forward towards reaching its goals and objectives? Here are a few of my thoughts:
- No fresh ideas: If new ideas are not coming to the table frequently the team becomes stale and progress slows.
- Burnout: If team members are overworked or in need of a break their energy level will slow.
- Lost vision: If a team loses sight of the big picture goals and objectives of the team they will lose interest or get off course.
- Wrong team members: Sometimes a vision outgrows members of the team and other times team members outgrow the vision.
- Lack of Resources: If there are not adequate resources to complete the task the team stalls.
- Poor training: Sometimes teams are asked to perform beyond their level of understanding.
- No accountability: I will write more about this tomorrow, but all teams need someone to assume ultimate responsibility.
Feel free to add your own thoughts. What are reasons you have seen for team idleness to occur?