I met with an awesome couple today that is going through one of those waiting times on God. I could sense the tension developing in them as their patience, and literally their faith, is being stretched. I could easily identify with their situation, because I have personally been there many times.
What should you do when it feels like God has forgotten you?
Here are 7 things to remember or do in those times when God appears silent.
- Be honest with God, those closest to you, and ultimately yourself about your fears. We are not meant to be silent sufferers.
- Keep in mind that you are not alone. All of us go through times of uncertainty. Even the great heroes of the faith had times of doubt. Don’t beat yourself up emotionally because you are in one of those times now.
- Remember that just because you feel a certain way does not mean the way you feel is truth.
- Recall truth:
- That God has promised to “never leave you nor forsake you”. Even when you feel abandoned by God, He is closer than you can imagine…and, He cares!
- That God has promised to work “all things for good”. That means He has a plan, even when it doesn’t seem that He does.
- Don’t sit still for long without doing something you already know to be doing. Volunteer, help others, stay busy, pray, seek His face. Be active in living out your faith during this time. Idleness is one of Satan’s best friends.
- Know that God prepares for some of His best work as He makes you wait.
- Read Psalm 27 and 121.
Have you ever been in a time like this? I would love for you to leave a brief testimony here to encourage others.